The Skill Development Science We Believe In!
We are habituated to execute only those behaviours that are listed in the ‘comfort-list’, maintained by our amygdala.
Our ‘comfort list’ is created based on what we have grown ‘used-to’, irrespective of the effectiveness or efficiency of those actions.
Changing or replacing behaviours in the ‘comfort-list’ of our amygdala cannot be achieved by logic, becasue the ‘amygdala is emotional’.
Logic appeals to the Prefrontal-cortex, the analytical & rational part of the brain. However, the final decision on what behaviour to exhibit is taken by the amygdala.
Our amygdala adds a new behaviour to the ‘comfort-list’ only after confirming (through tiral), that those new behaviours are ‘low-risk’.
The amygdala tries a new behaviour, only when it is convinced that the environment is non-threatening.
Once the new behaviour is successfully practiced multiple times in the low-risk environment, our amygdala adds the behaviour to the ‘comfort-list’.
The Whole Truth
Engineering a ‘receptive state’ is the pre-requisite for Skill Development.
Learning interventions are likely to bring about the required change in behaviours, only when the individual, team and organization are in a ‘receptive state’.
How do we create & sustain a receptive state?
At SkillTally, we believe a receptive state can be ‘engineered’ through a multi-dimensional approach
- Ensuring that the ‘right metrics’ are in place to trigger the desired behaviours in individuals, teams & organization—what gets measured consistently, gets learnt & done well consistently!
- Enhance awareness of current skill levels & gaps by providing:
- ‘competency comprehension’ assessments to measure what one knows/understands, through questionnaires administered to the target audience
- ‘habituated’ competency assessments, to measure what one does, through questionnaires administered to managers/customers/peers and when required, through simulated assessments centres for the target audience
- Instilling ‘right conviction’ by:
- Creating individual & collective experiences to break the current ‘dissonant beliefs’ that inhibit manifestation of the desired behaviours
- Providing individual & collective experiences to foster ‘harmonious beliefs’ that support manifestation of the desired behaviours
Once the receptive state is achieved, we attempt to inculcate the desired behaviours by:
- Offering self-paced learning to build, strengthen, compliment the knowledge & understanding required for behaviour inculcation & skill enhancement.
- Running a skill gym for individuals/teams to acquire & practise new behaviours in a non-threatening environment
- Exchanging objective feedback on practise of new behaviours
- Providing continuous measurement & reporting of behaviour and outcome metrics
Founder: Ajay Joseph
I am a perpetual student… With about a decade and a half spent in exploring the science & art of enabling individuals, teams and organizations, enhance their performance.
After having started my career as a school teacher, I transitioned to corporate learning, and have had my share of failures & successes in Instructional Design, Performance Gap Analysis, Competency Mapping, Facilitation, Client Engagement, New Product/Program Development and Building Delivery Capacity.
Experimentation with various methods of enhancing performance through behaviour change, has led me to realise that—What gets measured consistently, gets learnt & done well consistently!